OLMC Funeral Process & Policies
"Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them."
The death of a loved one can be a trying and stressful time. At the time of loss it may be difficult to focus on planning the funeral for your departed loved one. However, the funeral can be a wonderful tribute to him or her, and it can be part of our memories which last forever. The funeral can also offer great comfort and solace to those who mourn.
The following information is intended to assist you in designing a memorial service which will celebrate life. A Funeral Coordinator from the parish will assist you in this process. The coordinator is also available to assist with pre-arrangements. Please contact the Funeral Coordinator through the church office if you want to make an appointment or for more information.
The first step is to contact the mortuary of your choice to handle the necessary arrangements.
The mortuary will contact the church office staff and schedule a time for the Mass or service. As a general rule, the funeral Mass for a Catholic is celebrated in his or her own parish church.
Once the date and time have been determined, the coordinator will contact you and schedule an appointment to meet. Prior to the meeting,
- a Funeral Planning Book may be picked up at the church office or selections maybe viewed on the parish website.
- Meeting will be schedule with the parish coordinator who, will assist with selecting the readings and music, as well as answer any questions you may have about the funeral service.
- Funerals are normally scheduled for Tuesdays, Thursdays or Fridays at 11am… or occasionally on very few Saturdays.
PLEASE NOTE: a priest may not be available or there may be previously scheduled Masses or services that cannot be rescheduled (such as weddings or First Communions on Saturdays) so it is very important to get confirmation set prior to continuing the planning of a funeral with our parish.
The Diocese of Phoenix has set forth certain suggested honorariums and fees for services. Normally, the mortuary will incorporate these into their contract. If you have any questions about as to whether or not these fees have been included, please contact the mortuary or ask the Funeral Coordinator for clarification.
There are three forms for the Funeral:
- Funeral Mass in the presence of the body or cremated remains;
- Funeral Service in the presence of the body or cremated remains (which consists of the Scripture Readings, Homily, Rite of Commendation); or
- Memorial Mass without the body or cremated remains.
Viewings and Vigil Services are generally not permitted to be held in the Church. Viewings and Vigil Services are better accommodated at the Funeral Home. However, with the Pastor’s permission and scheduling permitting a rosary maybe held in the church one half hour prior to the Funeral Mass.
Families of REGISTERED members of Our Lady of Mt Carmel Church are welcomed to use McCready Hall for after Funeral Receptions/Luncheons depending on availability. McCready Hall is used during the school year for the school cafeteria. Therefore, it is not typically available when school is in session. Families are responsible for set up and cleanup of the Hall. There is no charge for Parish members or their families.