Encountering Christ - Volunteer
Volunteer Registration Form
Fill out the online volunteer registration form to be updated about upcoming volunteer opportunities.
Volunteer at a Hosting Facility
In OLMC, we want to organize visit to hosting facilities every month so that we can go as a community to serve those who are most in need among the Asylum Seekers. If you want to join us make sure you sign up to receive notice of our next visits. Information about the facilities we will visit are not going to be published for security reasons for the Migrants.
Volunteer skills needed:
- Hospitality: welcoming families who are being dropped off during the day
- Organizing resources: clothes, hygiene items, etc. to distribute to families
- Children’s activities: play with children, read book, etc.
- Kitchen and Meal Service: prepare and serve meals and pack sack lunches
- Clean up and general support: making sure everything is in order and clean
- Medical services (Spanish required): help with triage and health aid and assistance
- Registration, family connection and data entry (Spanish required)
Contact SVP Volunteer coordinator Shawn Donnnelly 602-850-6942 to organize a visit Tuesday to Sunday at Saint Vincent de Paul Day Relief Center. 3 shifts daily 8:30am-12:30pm, 12:30-4:00pm, 4:00-8:00pm
Drivers are Needed
- In OLMC, we want to start a driving service to help the different hosting facilities. As Asylum Seekers arrive the first thing they do is contact their sponsors to organize their travel arrangements. Once their bus tickets have been bought they need a ride to the airport or bus station.
- You can sign up to help us driving families to the airport or Greyhound offices.
Days and hours when driving services are most needed are from 8:00am – 5:00pm on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays but schedules are variable and volunteers might be needed at different dates and times.
Host Families are Very Much in Need
Those families who don’t get to buy a bus or plane that leaves the same day of their release from ICE are in need for a place to stay. If you are willing to host a family in need please fill out the registration form. Family units are usually consistent of a father or mother with one child.
PLEASE NOTE – Remember that all volunteers in the parish need to complete “Safe Environment Training”.